Monday, May 23, 2011

Liberty Hotel

This weekend was a much needed weekend of not much more than having lots and lots of fun in the city. I didn't have much school work and we didn't have any appointments so it made for a lot of free time.

Saturday night I went to a good friend's bachelorette party in Boston. We ended up at the Bell in Hand and had a fabulous time dancing the night away. I really love the upstairs even though it feels like you are going to fall through the floor at any moment.

On Sunday I spent most of the day lounging around...something that has been seriously lacking from my weekends recently. Back in March I beat JO in our annual March Madness bracket challenge and Sunday night was the perfect time to cash in on my victory. I had been going back and forth between a bunch of different restaurants I wanted to go for dinner. I ended up settling on Scampo at the Liberty Hotel. What really drew me to this restaurant was the fact that it has a mozzarella bar. I had to check it out.

We went in around 5:00 and it was so nice to be heading out on a Sunday night instead of staying in and waiting for the end of the weekend. (I think we should do this more often since I didn't have any Sunday blues.) I don't think I ever realized how close the Liberty Hotel is to our place. We were there in about 20 minutes. We've gone to Alibi a lot but we haven't taken advantage of the other restaurants in the hotel. (That's going to change ASAP!)

Scampo has a very modern feel to it. There is a large rectangular bar and the matching mozzarella bar in the center. The tables are big and the seating is over-sized. The menu offers a little bit of everything....pizza, pasta, rice dishes. etc. Plus there is an entire section devoted to just the mozzarella! We decided that we had to try out the mozzarella and tomato salad and I couldn't resist the arugula salad since I have a serious weakness for anything arugula. My only complaint is that our waitress should have told us the tomato and mozzarella salad came with arugula on top. Besides that the salads definitely were delicious.

We both ended up getting pasta dishes and they were quite good. I think the bolognase sauce at Toscano is a bit better but Scampo's was really good too. We were both totally stuffed after dinner but neither of us wanted the evening to end. We went back and forth between having dessert at Scampo or heading upstairs to try one of the other restaurants for dessert and drinks. We decided we wanted to explore so we headed upstairs to the Liberty Bar.

We got a great bar seat overlooking Beacon Hill with the Prudential Center in the distance. The sun was setting and it was really lovely. We ordered a delicious chocolate torte and some drinks and enjoyed the rest of the evening. I really loved the atmosphere and the fact that it's so close to our house. We were saying that we need to frequent the hotel during the winter. We also talked about how when we're older we hope we still spend Sundays this way. It made the thought of the work week so much more bearable. We're already planning a return trip this spring (if it ever stops raining) to enjoy The Yard at the Liberty Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment