Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fall City Traditions

 One of my favorite things about living in the city is all of the traditions I've created.  From May Fair to the tree lighting in Harvard Square my calendar fills up with traditions and I love it.  These outings have become a special part of my life and help shape my city life.  The fall is full of festivals including Oktoberfest and Smoke This!



Harvard Square's Oktoberfest is always a fun time!  The Honk parade is so much fun.  I love watching people who are just loving life.  The Square is usually packed and there are always a lot of vendors selling great items.  The weather was nice, have I mentioned how lucky we've been lately, so we spent a lot of time taking it all in.  I love how the Square is shut down to traffic.  Eventually we ended up at Grendel's Den before heading to the movies.













On Saturday we headed over to the Charles River Regatta.  The weather was perfect and we spent the day strolling up and down the banks of the river watching the races.  We were smart this year and stopped at Whole Foods for picnic supplies.  We found a great urban park at the corner of Western Ave. and Memorial.  The picnic tables had a great view of the river.  


I took a lot of pictures because I'm trying to capture the perfect shot to submit to the city's parking permit photo contest.  The Regatta always brings a lot of people into the city and I love sharing my city with tourists!



This weekend we headed down the street to the East Cambridge Business Association's Smoke This Rib Fest.  We stumbled on this event a few years ago and were sold immediately.  Some of the top restaurants in Cambridge competing for the title of rib champion.  The city closes down a large portion of Cambridge Street and there is live music.  It's basically a street party with amazing ribs.  We were lucky to get tickets before they sold out so we got to taste ten ribs and vote for our favorite.  There were three of us and we each had a different winner.  My vote went to Trina's Starlite Lounge.  Once again the weather was gorgeous and it was hard to leave knowing I had school work waiting for me at home. Work has been really stressful lately so I made it a point to boycott school work this weekend and focus on city living.  Judging from my current happy mood I think I did the right thing!










No comments:

Post a Comment