Tuesday, July 1, 2014

World Cup Fever




I love all kinds of global sporting events.  I love the way sports can bring all types of people together.  I especially loved seeing my students so excited.  I work in a very diverse school system and the World Cup gave my kids from soccer loving nations a chance to be in the spotlight.  It was so fun to see them show up to school in their country's jerseys, with face paint on game day.  I loved the way they beamed when they talked about their favorite players and the look in their faces when they came in the day after a game and shared the highlights with me in the hallway.


Not only was the World Cup a big hit at school, it's a big hit here in Inman Square!  Anchored by Midwest Grill, the Brazilian steakhouse in our neighborhood, all of the restaurants have flags and decorations for the World Cup.  I love seeing all the excitement and pride in our neighborhood.  I love seeing people walking around in their jerseys, talking shop.




Hit Wickett was ready for the tournament

Midwest Grill

Love that Midwest Grill had all three neighborhood flags flying!  Class act!


Bom Cafe getting into the action


The Portuguese Parade was held on the same day as the USA vs. Portugal game.  I loved that the World Cup float featured the USA soccer crest.  The spirit was undeniable in our neighborhood and I'm actually kind of glad the game ended in a tie, for the sake of the neighborhood.



Also, the World Cup gives us another reason to go to Parlor Sports to catch the games.  We went during the first weekend of the tournament.  In true Parlor Sports fashion they had some special touches for the World Cup- beers from around the world and the national cocktail of Brazil, a caipirinha (which is my new favorite summer drink btw.)  We were sandwiched between the Argentinean crowd and the Bosnia Herzegovina fans, which was a lot of fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment