Sunday, July 2, 2017

More Fun in Kendall~ Sulmona and Glass House

Well, sure enough, that beautiful weather from the other day, was replaced by hot, humid weather.  I don't do well with this kind of weather.  I tend to shut down, and get what I call, the "summer funk."  I have all this free time, but Mother Nature is preventing me from enjoying it!  (I know, first world problems, right)  Denali feels the same way!


We had tickets to a soccer game yesterday, but we skipped the game because it was so hot.  I hated missing the game and was getting pretty annoyed with the weather.  JO quickly saved the day by suggesting we go to Sulmona!  Remember Sulmona, my new favorite restaurant in the city.  I love the food and the industrial, modern feel of the space.

This time, we chose to sit in the bar side, to see what that was like.  (In reality, the dining room and bar area are separated by a half wall but I wanted to check it out anyways.)  I liked the high tables which let you see out the windows.  I also loved getting a look at the bar, since last time it was so crowded.  The bar has plenty of seats and the bar itself is a great mix of mirror, subway tile, and wrought iron.

We started with the burrata and let me tell you, I'm already trying to figure out when we can go again just to get it.  Burrata is a magical thing.  Whoever decided to stuff mozarella cheese with ricotta cheese was a genius!  This dish was served with crunchy bread and marinated campari tomato quarters on a bed of basil pesto.  The cheese was deliciously creamy and paired perfectly with the bread but the big star of this dish (and that's not a knock on the burrata, it was delicious on it's own) were the tomatoes.  They were perfectly dressed in olive oil and the perfect match to the pesto.  I can't say enough good things about this dish!  

Once again, we both stuck to our pasta choices from the last visit.  Both were just as good as the last time!  I love the modern, industrial feel of this restaurant.  It's definitely not a restaurant we can go to all the time, because it is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for here.  It's sophisticated without being snotty.  I feel like I could go in leggings and a tank top, after a run, or a fun summer dress, and it would be fine. 

After dinner, it was finally cool enough to walk around without feeling like you might melt, so we decided to walk towards the river.  The plan was to walk along the boardwalk, but we never made it, as we were distracted by the octopus sculpture (really, it's a neuron, but it really looks like an octopus, and it lights up at night) over  by where you can rent kayaks. 


After checking out the sculpture, we saw the outdoor bar at the Glass House.  Back in December I had wanted to check this place out, and then had forgotten about it.  The outdoor bar has room for eight, and overlooks the community space area.  We couldn't pass up the chance to sit outside so we grabbed the last two seats and enjoyed the evening.  There are no real views here, you're kind of trapped behind a few big buildings, but that was fine.  The Glass House is literally a "glass house" and makes for a fun backdrop.  


On our way home, we walked through the patio at Commonwealth, which was closed for the day.  We played a little corn hole and checked out the "truck" bar.  We're going to have to check this place out before summer is over.

We ended up walking home past The Smoke Shop and stopped to watch the live music from the courtyard.  We'll have to remember this.  

An evening that started off with the "summer funk" ended with some fun city finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment