Saturday, June 12, 2010

Just What the Doctor Ordered

After a long and stressful week that ended with more waiting I was really in need of a great city night!

On Thursday night JO and I decided that we should plan an evening out for Friday night. I've been waiting to hear about something at work and I was either going to have something to celebrate or need some cheering up. I wanted to make sure the evening was great so that either way I would have fun. I started to panic about finding a restaurant to go to. I really wanted to go into Boston and I was having "Restaurant Block." Everything I thought off just didn't seem like the right place to ensure success and I was really getting frustrated.

That's when JO had a great idea... Marliave. The Marliave is the sister restaurant to one of my favorite Boston restaurants Grotto. I've written before of my love for the Grotto. We had been to the Marliave for lunch back in November and had really enjoyed the experience. I also loved the fact that the Marliave is really close to The Last Hurrah at the Omni Parker House Hotel, a great bar with great drinks. Our plans got even better when our good friends were able to join us for a night out.

Unfortunately there wasn't a decision after all, so I really needed the night out to unwind. We headed into Boston around 7:30 and I was slightly worried that we wouldn't get a table. We were in luck! We got a great table in the upstairs dining room. The decor is simple but very elegant. The upstairs is split into two large dining rooms separated by an exposed white brick wall. Normally I don't like painted brick but it works in this case. One whole wall of one of the rooms is floor to ceiling windows which overlook the outskirts of Downtown Crossing. The vibe is casual sophistication.

The Marliave's concept is a French inspired speak-easy. The drink menu is really vast and the menu has way too many choices so we will definitely have to go back soon! Each us got a different meal and we each raved about how delicious they were. I love how they draw on the flavors from the Grotto but with unique, French twists. The macaroni and cheese appetizer is reminiscent of the garlic soup, the Yankee pot roast has those delicious short ribs, and the pan roasted chicken with risotto mirrors the sirloin dish. It was so nice to be out in the city with good friends and forget about being stressed!

We were having such a good time that we stopped over at the Last Hurrah for drinks. I love that they have a variety of champagne cocktails! I really enjoy the bar for it's relaxed atmosphere. It's in a really sophisticated, fancy hotel but it just feels so relaxing and I love the views of Tremont Street. We had fun talking about the summer and living in the city.

We ended up taking a cab back to Inman and for some reason I mentioned the name of the small town I grew up in on the South Shore. Apparently our taxi driver was from the same town and I loved what he said, "There's nothing to do there." He's definitely right! I'm glad I don't have that problem anymore :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment