Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Urban Hiking

One of the things I love about living in Inman Square is that I can walk almost anywhere I want. Who doesn't love a good urban hike? Over the past few years my friend and I have learned that the girl's definition of urban hiking is a lot different then the boy's definition.

The boys think it is perfectly acceptable to walk from our Cambridge neighborhood to Fenway Park. Although this walk is doable it's not much fun... and prevents hikers from wearing cute shoes! I prefer my definition of urban hiking!

If I had my own dictionary the entry for urban hiking would look like this:

1. Walking from Inman to Harvard and then around the Charles River before heading back. This would be the "exercise" form of the word :-)
2. Walking through Cambridge and Boston with multiple and frequent stops for shopping.

This past Saturday, after realizing that the majority of my pants were capris, and with temps dropping, I decided an urban hike of the shopping variety was much needed! I actually did double duty since JO and I hit up the square and the river in an attempt to be a cool Cambridge couple. After returning from our walk I headed out to buy pants, shoes, and anything else that struck my fancy. It was a gorgeous day, and I loved walking down Boylston Street from the Prudential Center to Downtown Crossing (I had no idea there was a DSW warehouse there! Good to know!!!)

Urban hiking is so much more fun than going to the mall. First, it's a great combination of fun and fitness since the stores are a little bit further apart than in a mall. Second, you get great inspiration for your new purchases. You're surrounded by every style possible. Finally, you find yourself walking by tons of great "watering" holes... and really what goes better with some urban hiking than a great cocktail... say at the Marliave for instance?

And speaking of the Marliave... JO and I had dinner at The Grotto on Beacon Hill. Delicious and the perfect ending to a perfect city day.

No comments:

Post a Comment