Saturday, June 20, 2020

Day 100~ I Sat in a Cubical Made Out of Shower Curtains and Felt Guilty About It

Ahh.  Day 100.  It seems like we actually got here really quickly and really slowly all at the same time.  I don't normally count the days, except the ones leading up to the last day of school.  I feel like I have a good sense of what 100 days feels like now.   Overall I've really enjoyed this new take on life, but I do miss some things.  Surprisingly I don't miss restaurants that much but I do really miss coffee shops, museums, the arts, Club Passim, and the train.  Riding the train always validated my city lifestyle and gave me any easy way to get across the river and enjoy Boston.  And after typing that I realize that I really miss Boston.  I don't want to go to Boston because mask wearing is really lacking over there but I do miss all the fun things to do in Boston.

We visited the Starlite Snack Shack for dinner.  Seriously, this place is so fun!


Coming up on our to-do list~ pints to go from The Druid (I'm shocked this is legal.)


After dinner we decided we would binge watch some TV but a few hours in I decided I needed to go for a walk.  I just really needed to get out of the house.  I'd spent the entire day in the living room and I was kind of over it.

We decided to walk to Harvard Square.  My plan was just to walk around, check it out.  The side of Harvard Square closest to Central Square was dead.  None of the restaurants are open, even for take out, and there were very few people walking around.  As we made way over to the center of the Square near Grendel's Den things picked up.  People were picnicking in Winthrop Park, Grendel's had a full patio, there was a line at Shake Shack, and much to our surprise, Charlie's Kitchen was open.  We stared down into the Beer Garden and couldn't resist a visit.  

Pros~ they have posted rules that they require you to read before entering, you need to sanitize your hands before entering, mask wearing is required even when speaking with the servers (which I'm all for and saw them enforcing), menu is online, and tables are separated by shower curtains which offer some separation between tables.

Cons- the tables aren't spaced so I was still sitting pretty close to the people next to us even though there was a shower curtain in between.  Sitting inside a shower curtain cubicle is really weird.


The entire time we were sitting on the patio I was feeling guilty and nervous.  I felt guilty for taking an unnecessary risk just to drink a dumb Sam Summer outside.  I felt guilty for potentially putting people at risk.  I felt guilty for letting my guard down.  I felt nervous because once I sat down it didn't feel as safe as it looked from above. Ughhhhhh!!!!!  

On our walk home I did enjoy the feeling of having the Square all to myself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment